2.4 metre Heron - quite a bird !

If you have a model, either electric or glow, that you feel has such a great setup that it would be beneficial for others to know about, then tell us about it here!

Moderator: Committee

uplink

2.4 metre Heron - quite a bird !

Postby uplink » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Well yes, this one goes to prove I do sometimes buy models rather than build them.

That said, this version of the Heron is obviously rated as a 'build' - at least to some degree - as it is marketed as Multiplex's 'kit' version of the Heron.

IMG_0739HeronParts LoRes.JPG

Here we see the 'bits and bobs' parts in the kit.

As you can see, there are a lot of strengthening rods and tubes - all enabling the Elapor foam parts to achieve the required rigidity and strength needed to take on some of the quite punishing aerobatics that this machine is capable of.

This is the You Tube short video of a few aerobatics - it sold me on this being a capable and strong machine - and yes, I can now confirm, she will readily perform these without folding the wings.

So, quite a capable and easy to fly machine - you don't have to fly her as 'aggressively' as in the video.

The kit build is well documented and is very straight forward.

IMG_1421Heron LoRes.JPG

An essential, for me, with this kind of plane, are flaps which can be deployed at a large enough angle as to act as air brakes - when in strong lift they give you the control and means of getting down ! The Heron has these and so, as can be seen, sports 4 servos in the wings.

The servos for the elevator and rudder are mounted in the fin with their wiring extensions feeding down a large bore fuselage stiffening tube.

The cabin area where the battery, ESC and Rx live is a touch on the tight side - it all does fit, but I found myself pondering for a while on how I could place the two antenna from my Spektrum receiver so they were not shielded by battery or the collection of servo wires.

IMG_1433Heron LoRes.JPG

The canopy retention system appears really good, as does the way the wing half main spar protrusions link with each other inside the fuselage to form a very strong wing connection - the spars are themselves tough looking guys: square ali tubes with carbon fibre centres.

Decals carefully applied and she looks eager to fly.....

IMG_1490Heron LoRes.JPG

But then there is the necessary initial control setting up to do.. which when you use a DX6i transmitter, with no sailplane setup section and just 6 channels, it gets a bit interesting at times: -
the left aileron plugs into the aux port but is programmed as flap
and the flaps plug, via a Y lead, into the Gear port and program as Gear and operated by the Gear switch
and the two ailerons can then be ganged together to both flick upwards to give a spoileron action using - yes, you guessed it - the flap switch.

IMG_1943CropLoRes.JPG

And after a few setting up adjustment flights, here she is, non the worse for completing a rather wing straining aerobatic work-out.

IMG_1904Heron at Mns&Dist 2 LoRes.JPG
IMG_1905Heron at Mns&Dist LoRes.JPG

Yes, for a reasonable price and a few hours work, I'd say, this Heron is going to have little trouble in pleasing quite a lot of pilots.

IMG_1493LoRes.JPG

And more proof of how strong this plane is - check out this 'throw around' at time around 5:00 into the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35xKLIfZAoo

Now THAT'S a thermal.

uplink

Re: Heron

Postby uplink » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:32 pm

The motor I used was one I've also got in my Uptern 2015, where it has done an excellent job, so off of ebay - a AGM GT 2820/07 850kv driving the prop which comes with the kit - a 12 x 6 folding prop.

The ESC is a 40A HK Blue Series SBEC supplied by a 3s 1800mah battery - though a 2200mah should fit fine and give a bit longer than my approx 8 min aerobatic flights - mind you my batts are now about 3 yrs old and capacity is down to more like 1200mah now.

Since I only have 6 channels, using a Spektrum AR610 Rx and a DX6i Tx, I had to Y lead the two flap servos and as the cutouts in the wings are mirror images it means the flap servos need to drive in different directions, hence I bought a small cheap servo reversing circuit to fit in line with one of the servo leads.

IMG_1474LoRes.JPG

Here's my way of fitting those servos in the fin - the plastic card and plastic glued in rawl plugs are my way of screwing on an access hatch, so as to readily service/change out the servos - should the need ever arise. I don't like to have to 'butcher' the plane when servo teeth get stripped.

Link to online manual - English version starts page 16 :

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11130 ... =16#manual

and diagrams start page 32:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11130 ... =32#manual
Now THAT'S a thermal.

Puffin

Re: Heron

Postby Puffin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:14 am

Nice bit of kit Peter :lol:

Return to “My Models Spec & Other Info”