Phoenix-VIX

If you have a model, either electric or glow, that you feel has such a great setup that it would be beneficial for others to know about, then tell us about it here!

Moderator: Committee

uplink

Phoenix-VIX

Postby uplink » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:05 pm

Yes, it was Pilot error!

Thanks to the wrong selection on my rates switch, my Vixen Twin Boom ended a Bunt manoeuvre with only her wings intact.

Still - a good set of wings is a good set of wings - and they were looking to find another plane.

Indeed, it didn't take long before those wings started my thoughts off in the direction of another foamy - but this time the wings would be on a canard design - and could I maybe pull off an aerobatic canard design?

Initial Sketches.JPG
Those Important Initial Sketches

Out with the drawing board (not graduated to Computer Aided Design yet), then out with the sheets of foam and a sharp knife.....

New Design Front meets the Old Vixen Rear.JPG
New Design Front meets the Old Vixen Rear

.... job done.

Phoenix-VIX just before her first flight.JPG
Phoenix-VIX just before her First Flight

The time had come for the maiden flight - I was almost relieved it was too windy to sensibly 'maiden', but as the afternoon moved along the wind dropped - and dropped to a whisper.

Oh !! 'Brown trouser time' was here.

A very pronounced turn to the left when attempting take off lead to 3 or 4 aborts - even with full right rudder she was still going too much to the left to attempt getting airborne.
Investigation time..... I discovered the left rear wheel of the trike was binding - in effect applying a left side brake. I freed it off a little. Still she's turning left, but not so much and she was now up to flying speed - this was it. I pulled in a little up and she left the ground very eagerly - in a steep nose up attitude!

Were the calculations on C of G right? Would the very successful flights with a one third sized chuck glider scale up to give the desired outcome?

She climbed very quickly at about 70 degrees to about 100 feet where I leveled her out with quite a bit of down trim.... and that was it !

I was ready for a sudden nose tuck under (canards do that if the C of G is too far back) and ready for a flat, sycamore seed spin - they can do that too. But nothing went wrong - not even when I did a simulated slow speed landing flare out at 100 feet up. She was rock solid and stable.

So, let's try a loop - yes, fine. And a roll - no problem.

The real landing turned out to be steady and very controlled.

She has now had just 4 flights and shown up a couple of small alterations to the airframe design that would be worth trying and I've just hopefully done a proper fix on that binding wheel.

So, a little more experimenting to do yet, but so far looking promising - fingers crossed.

A link to a You Tube clip of Phoenix Vix in action - play Full Screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhmc-_htmmI
Last edited by uplink on Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now THAT'S a thermal.

uplink

Re: Phoenix-VIX

Postby uplink » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:46 pm

2012-07-06 Vixen 002LoRes.jpg
Vixen in 2012 - the former owner of that pair of wings.

Hey, there's that pair of wings again - back in 2012 - seen here on their former owner, a twin boom foamy, I called Vixen.

And before that - going back to July 2011 - here's a picture I found of the original Twin Boom owner of them - yes, it's those same pair of wings !! ... they've now been built into 3 planes.

2011-07-30 003LoRes.jpg
2011 and the original Twin Boom owner of that pair of wings.

The Original Twin Boom (spot the differences), built in March 2011, had 188 flights - until, on 2 june 2012, a mid-air turned it into a load of slowly falling confetti - that is, all except for those rather long lasting, foamy pair of wings.
Now THAT'S a thermal.

uplink

Postby uplink » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:04 pm

Early on the foreplane elevators were extended slightly ....

Pheonix - VIX loloRes.JPG

... and now the rudders have like-wise been increased in area to give a more positive yaw control.

Phoenix-VIX & Canard 1 loRes.JPG

Phoenix-VIX at Goosedale after her 15th flight - here with my Canard 1 which has a slightly greater vintage, now being around 37 years old, but still going strong.

Canard 1 & Phoenix-VIX.JPG

I think I can now say that the Phoenix -VIX has proved herself to be a reasonably successful design - being both stable and very aerobatic.

The only redesign I would do, if starting over, is to put the prop at the front rather than the back, because in a 'hammerhead' / stall turns and vertical climbs which slow down to 'stand on it's tail' speed, there is then no airflow and no prop wash over the foreplane elevator - so as the plane comes to that nose up standstill, there is obviously no control available from that surface.

.... and also, she really could do with treating to a new set of wheels - the hub holes have become worn from their previous use on the Vixen, and so they are a bit wobbly.

But for just a few bits of foam, she's a real load of fun.
Now THAT'S a thermal.

uplink

Postby uplink » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:40 pm

A link to a You Tube clip of Phoenix Vix in action - play Full Screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhmc-_htmmI

Phoenix-Vix loRes.JPG
Now THAT'S a thermal.

Return to “My Models Spec & Other Info”