Canard One

If you have a model, either electric or glow, that you feel has such a great setup that it would be beneficial for others to know about, then tell us about it here!

Moderator: Committee

uplink

Canard One

Postby uplink » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:38 pm

Simply known in my notebooks as Canard One, this is an own design which dates back to around 1979.

Back then, I'd built and learnt to fly, at Colwick race course, a couple of polyhedral winged, bungie launched gliders - both rather boxy own design affairs, which now and for many years, have rested gathering dust in the loft.
After them came the red 'UpTern 120' pod and boom glider, which I still fly more than any other plane - and then came a trainer slope soaring plane I called 'Colwick Kite'.
But then, with normal gliding apparently 'in the bag', I wanted to see if I could design and make a canard fly.... and fly she did.
And here she is today - no longer with a tow hook for bungie launching, but with a brushless AXI 2814-12 motor up front and 7 - sometimes 8 - NiCd or NiMh cells in the fuel tank.

Originally had a higher aspect ratio polyhedral wing, but with no ailerons - just 2 channels for rudder and elevator - the wing seen here is the one from the Cowick Kite slope soarer - which does have ailerons.

Flight characturistics are a little different to a 'normal' plane - with her being ultra keen to 'sit a little on her tail' and readily swivel either to left or right. Yes, it will turn quite sharp turns - especially on rudder control.

It will loop and stall turn okay, but those trainer wings are very flat bottomed and so she doesn't do inverted....
plus I'm sure the canard fore-plane would have to be of the all moving variety to facilitate flying either way up as the canard surface has to be at a few degrees positive incidence relative to the main wings - and a fixed canard with 4 degrees positive becomes, in effect, 4 degrees negative when you invert the plane!

A major thing to get used to, of course, is orientation - especially when she's high and a fair distance away - then she really can play tricks on the eye - and make you do yet another 'double take'.
Now THAT'S a thermal.

uplink

Postby uplink » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:21 am

... a few more pics of the layout.....

Yes, on that label it does say CofG - that's where it is, about a couple of inches forward of the main wing's leading edge.
The Batteries sit amidships, at the CofG position.

Ah yes, the good old Micron reciever - made from a kit - and it has about the best range of all my 35meg recievers.
Now THAT'S a thermal.

Return to “My Models Spec & Other Info”