Topflite DC3 Dakta - Glow to Brushless

If you have a model, either electric or glow, that you feel has such a great setup that it would be beneficial for others to know about, then tell us about it here!

Moderator: Committee

scott

Topflite DC3 Dakta - Glow to Brushless

Postby scott » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:43 pm

Got an addtional projetct now, Topflite DC3 Dakta - Glow to Brushless conversion . . .

Started of with a couple of SC40's weighing 10.5 lb, here we go!

I have purchased the following components; I have had good results with the Turnigy and Hyperion manufactures so have decided to stick with them.

2 X Turnigy SK Series 35-48 900Kv brushless motor .40
2 X 70amp Opto Wasp ESC's
1 x 8Amp UBEC with 2250 Longmax 7.4V Lipo
2 x Hyperion 4S1P 4350MAH 14.8v Lipo

I have removed the firewalls and have opted to take out the 6 deg down thrust and the side thrust.

scott

Postby scott » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:55 pm

Done some more this evening . . . with the cells in it, at the moment it ballances on the money @ 8.90 lb, I should be able to get it complete ready to fly @ 9.50 lbs

The firewalls are just screwed on for the time being until I know all is good. the 11x7 props fit with 1/2 an inch to spare.

ESC mounts glued in. Making it up as I go now, what fun.

Cut a hatch in the top of the fus, worked out very well I think.

scott

Postby scott » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:26 pm

Done some more, the motors and the ESC are in, the carriage for the batteries are now in place as is are the hatch catches. . .Image

scott

Postby scott » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:01 pm

OMG! How fantastic is this plane . . . first flight was a bit hairy (cross wind and 20mph gusts) but the further 4 were great, flew it nice and scale with 15 deg. of flaps, then proceeded to land with the same amount. No noticable tendencies to ballon with no down thrust, but with flaps deployed and high throttle setting its like an elevator - going up!

It's great to fly around on flaps and when the weather dropped it was really nice . . . I did stall it into wind once - a lack of applied power and to much flap, but when the nose dropped and power was applied it recovered well . . .

All landings were lined up a far with plenty of speed, then when the approach line was good the speed can be bled off and a nice scale landing achieved with out to much aileron correction (limiting the tendencies to stall) You have to fly her home, but its fun and not to challenging.

I love it!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjf5wYi_QfE[/youtube]

Return to “My Models Spec & Other Info”